Monday, August 30, 2010

Making the Internet a Better Place

"What's your business model?" The words sprung from my mouth like rhetoric. Like "How are you?" and "Are you ok?" the phrase is a staple I use when discussing some startup or another, which is a semi-recent hobby of mine. While I was getting the elevator pitch during a meeting last week I asked this question, immediately noticing the douchiness behind it when the developer replied, "We don't have one." He went on to explain that they were very proud of their product and wanted to expand their user base before figuring out how to make money off of them. It's funny because I was often hit with the same question when working on Bundl.it, and I would answer "I don't have one, I'm just building a tool to make the internet a better place."


Like it or not we are the curators of the largest compilation of stories, ideas, pictures, and video that has ever existed (I like it a lot, and I bet if you're reading this you do too). Sometimes it's not about squeezing every last cent out of people that enjoy your work. Sometimes it's making life easier for users, or even developers, and not being concerned about what's in it for you until it becomes necessary.


I don't have ads on this blog. I've been approached by maybe a half a dozen companies in the past few months, and my answer has always been the same. I wont put advertisements on my site that are pictures, or images, I will only have ads when this blog gets big enough to attract the advertisers with the least offensive ads, the ones that are small lines of text that don't interrupt your reading experience and are an after thought. Why? I like you guys, and I don't want to pimp you for a penny. I feel like you are a guest here, and I don't want to make a quick buck by making your stay here less pleasing.  I'm trying to add to the value of the web by adding my opinion and thoughts, I hope it helps.


I love money just as much as the next girl (you should see my shoe tower). However, the place in my heart that the interwebs holds compares to no other. I consider it a career goal to make my footprint beneficial.


Join me? This is our internet, let's help each other enjoy it.



31 comments:

  1. Your page is so fantastic! You sure do know how to keep your audience entertained. I am so glad that I took the time to look at this blog, because let me tell you. Not a lot of people know how to balance knowledge of a subject and content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good page!I love money just as much as the next girl (you should see my shoe tower). However, the place in my heart that the interwebs holds compares to no other. I consider it a career goal to make my footprint beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like it ! 我喜欢你的博客!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving it. Keep it up girl! As another chick in the web industry, we gotta make our voices heard... Hot URL too, good find ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you're asking about a business plan, you're not asking how the new company can squeeze every last penny out of it's users. You are trying to discover if the idea has any possibility of ever paying it's developers. If the answer is no, then the company better be making the world a better place.
    As for advertising on your blog. I subscribed to your blog for free. You right great content, I pay nothing. I damned well expect to look at advertisements for companies you feel are relevant and valuable. The odds of me clicking on an advertisement are pretty low, but I have been known to opt into affiliate programs on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a wise decision to put no ads on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read your posts I hear Kathy Griffin's voice in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I actually love how it is quick on my eyes as well as the information is well written. I am wondering how I may be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which should do the trick! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.mbtusasale.com What's your business model?" The words sprung from my mouth like rhetoric. Like "How are you?" and "Are you ok?" the phrase is a staple I use when discussing some startup or another, which is a semi-recent hobby of mine. While I was getting the elevator pitch during a meeting last week I asked this question, immediately noticing the douchiness behind it when the developer replied, "We don't have one." He went on to explain that they were very proud of their product and wanted to expand their user base

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like it or not we are the curators of the largest compilation of stories, ideas, pictures, and video that has ever existed (I like it a lot, and I bet if you're reading this you do too). Sometimes it's not about squeezing every last cent out of people that enjoy your work. Sometimes it's making life easier for users, or even developers, and not being concerned about what's in it for you until it becomes necessary. http://www.uggsaleaustralia.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So what yoI've been approached by maybe a half a dozen companies in the past few months, and my answer has always been the same.u say is true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love you because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything can be taken from a man but one thing; the freedom to choose his attitude in any given set of circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Young, 42, retired in 2006, after his second stint with the St. Louis Blues. He also played for the Hartford Whalers, the Penguins (won a Cup), the Nordiques, the Avalanche (won another Cup) and the Stars. A forward, Young played in 1,181 games and racked up 342 goals and 415 assists. In 2001, he scored 40 goals for St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Um...like the style of your writing.*_*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks this post..
    keep writing your blog will be more attractive. To Your Success!
    http://jobspert.com/placement-papers/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. *Forget about stupidity, discover your ability.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tolerance between the races of the world is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Season's greetings and sincere wishes for a bright and happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So I have always imagined an oppressive heat, making life soft, sweaty, sluggish and nearly unbearable and miserable. This is in keeping with his themes of stifling entrapment and escape.

    ReplyDelete
  23. But know this: The ones that love us never really leave us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with you, your saying is so good and usful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do not get your girls wear a plain white bridesmaid dress on stage in order to avoid distracting.
    http://www.weddingdressmart.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do not get your girls wear a plain white bridesmaid dress on stage in order to avoid distracting.
    http://www.weddingdressmart.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I personally cannot wait to hear about the desserts plus try their Slow Cooked Barossa Pork Belly with steamed gyoza dumpling, crispy pork skin, green apple and kim chi salad. My two current favourite things Gyoza and Pork belly in the one dish...Someone please go there, taste for me and tell me how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Chafing, blisters, and also other related operating connected difficulties are brought on by a lack of right protection, and is often

    ReplyDelete
  29. strapless bikini are extremely sexy modifications and are a little more conservative than a classic Thong.

    ReplyDelete